Friday 10 June 2016

Mayor supports quality dementia care programme




News: Latest Events distributed around Yorkshire June 10, 2016 05:39:50 PM


The Mayor of Barnsley, Cllr Linda Burgess, has launched a project to support good quality dementia care in care homes and domiciliary care services in Barnsley.


There are 850,000 people living with dementia in the UK and the program aims to encourage care providers to reflect on their service and identify areas of improvement.


The event was attended by a number of local service providers and included a performance by Real People Theatre Group.


Mayor of Barnsley, Cllr Linda Burgess, said: “I’m passionate about improving the quality of life and care for those living with dementia. This has arisen from my direct experience with my mother and her journey through living with dementia.


“I learned that my Mum was still herself inside, she was not 'lost' and had the ability to self-reflect but I needed to help her to communicate her thoughts and feelings. I just needed to have time and acceptance to be able to piece together what she was trying to communicate.


“My mayoral charity will raise funds to enable improvements in the quality of care for those living with dementia. There are many ways in which care can be improved for those living with dementia now and for any of us in the future.”


Pictured are Jane Wood, Head of Joint Commissioning and Mayor of Barnsley Cllr Linda Burgess at the launch.

take-me-back-to-facebook


[catlist name=Latest News]


No comments:

Post a Comment